Two Towns-One Book: Clifton Park & Halfmoon Read
A program of the Friends of the Library
A non-profit organization that supports the Clifton Park-Halfmoon Public Library
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats: Kick-Off
Sunday, January 11, 2015
Clifton Park-Halfmoon Public Library
Linda Fox presents her October 2014 Myanmar experience!
Mark your calendar for our Books and Lunch, March 21, 2015 at The Vista…details coming soon!
More exciting, book-related events are coming up!
Our Book of Choice 2015
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats
By Jan-Phillipp Sendker
A poignant and inspirational love story set in Burma, The Art of Hearing Heartbeats spans the decades between the 1950s and the present. When a successful New York lawyer suddenly disappears without a trace, neither his wife nor his daughter Julia has any idea where he might be…until they find a love letter he wrote many years ago, to a Burmese woman they have never heard of. Intent on solving the mystery and coming to terms with her father’s past, Julia decides to travel to the village where the woman lived. There she uncovers a tale of unimaginable hardship, resilience, and passion that will reaffirm the reader’s belief in the power of love to move mountains.
The search for the perfect book for our 2015 Community Read began on May 4, with your nominations. Nominations ended June 14. During the summer months our Book Selection Committee narrowed your nominations to five great reads. Take a peek at our TTOB Top 25 Books 2014. Voting took place from September 11-October 31.
The Contenders 2014
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Phillipp Sendker I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai Mary Coin by Marisa Silver My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor One Summer; America 1927 by Bill Bryson Download 2014-2015 TTOB Contenders Revealed Brochure
Second Annual Literary Trivia Walk: September 28
It was a beautiful day, filled with family fun. Enjoy the photos!
Beekman 1802 Farm Trip: Final celebration of last year’s book – The Bucolic Plague
Thank you, Josh Kilmer Purcell and Brent Ridge, for welcoming Two Towns-One Book as the first private group (80 of us!) to tour your fabulous farm! Our TTOB Chairperson, Linda Conklin, worked with Rhona Koretsky to organize a perfect day of activities. We toured the farm, meeting the chickens and goats. Thank you, Megan and Farmer John. We lunched at the American Hotel in Sharon Springs while being entertained with stories and songs. Thank you, Doug and Garth. We shopped at nearby shops including Beekman 1802. Our trip back to the CPH Public Library included a quick stop at the Arkell Museum in Canajoharie. Fabulous Day! Beekman Farm Photos Sharon Springs Shopping and American Hotel Photos The Arkell Photos For additional details visit Gail’s “Life As I See It” blog: The Historic and Charming American Hotel The Fabulous Beekman 1802 Sharon Springs Springs to Life
FOL Receives Stewart’s Holiday Match Funding!
Kids, Read, Too!, the children’s branch of Two Towns-One Book was awarded $750 by Stewart’s holiday match Program. Read more.
Important Dates for 2014-2015
· Book Nominations – May - June
· Book Evaluation & Selection of 5 Contenders – June - August
· Vote for Final Selection – September 11 – October 31
· Announce THE BOOK - November 4
· Events & Activities – January – May
How Can I Get Involved?
- We invite volunteers to work on sub-committees and events. Sub-committees include: Book Selection, Book Readers, Public Relations, Events, Fundraising, and Kids Read, Too! Contact Us.
- Get the BOOK! Check out a copy of the selected book or purchase your own copy at your local bookstore. The title will be available at the Clifton Park-Halfmoon Library in hardback, paperback and audio format. This title will also available as a Book Club in a Bag version, for book clubs wishing to check out multiple copies at once!
- Read! Join your family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors in reading the same book – together!
- Register your Book Club. We are happy to include book clubs from the surrounding area. Read more in About Us.
- Attend our related programs. See Events.
- Check out our web pages weekly and watch for the official schedule of events in January!
- Sign up to receive e-mail updates about TTOB related programs and events.
- Attend a Community Book Discussion. Official Discussion Questions for your own book group will also be available on the website.
- Become a Sponsor.
- Contact Us. Or contact Linda Conklin, Chairwoman of TTOB, at email@example.com.